Food Handler Certificate
The Pelican Staffing Solutions certificate program, available in a classroom setting, provides food handlers with the knowledge and skills they need to safely handle foods for human consumption. Successful completion of the program assures food managers, regulators and trainers that the certificate holder has completed a basic course in food safety. The First Principles course and assessment is based on substantial review and analysis of the current state of knowledge, regulations, and requirements in field of food safety.
The purpose of the food handlers training and test is to prepare food handlers to enter the workforce by providing the required food safety information as specified by regulations of the workers’ state, county, or local government.
This training and test will prepare you to become a responsible food handler. A “food handler” is generally understood to be a food worker in a non-managerial role.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe how food can make people sick after being contaminated by physical, chemical, or biological hazards.
- Appreciate that the behavior of food handlers directly affects the safety of food.
- Keep hands and body clean to prevent contaminating food and food contact surfaces.
- Use appropriate barriers to prevent bare hand contact with food.
- Identify which symptoms require staying home from work or reporting an illness or symptom to the manager.
- Identify the appropriate time and temperature requirements for keeping food safe during specific stages in the flow of food.
- Describe how to keep the workplace and equipment clean.